Elizabeth L. Newman
Elizabeth Newman was named by Washingtonian Magazine as one of Washington’s Best Lawyers for 2016. She was granted Martindale Hubble’s coveted “AV” rating, its highest rating, for 20 years in a row. Elizabeth was a partner at KCNF from 1990 until her retirement.
A nationwide expert on Security Clearance Law, Ms. Newman authored the text, Security Clearance Law and Procedure, Dewey Publications, 2nd. Ed. 2008. Ms. Newman received her education at Skidmore College (B.A., 1970) and Georgetown Law Center (J.D., 1973). Prior to joining KCNF, Ms. Newman served as a Trial Attorney for the U.S. Office of Personnel Management from 1973-1979, as a partner with the firm of Ambler and Newman from 1980-1983, and as Of Counsel for the firm of Dobrovir and Gebhardt from 1985-1990. Ms. Newman also served as a faculty member of the DC Bar’s Continuing Legal Education program, “How to Represent Your Client Effectively in Security Clearance Cases”; Co-Chair of the ABA Committee on Federal Service Labor and Employment Law; Vice-Chair for the ABA Defense & National Security Committee; Chair of the Law Office Management and Economics Section of the DC Bar; Executive Board, Federally Employed Women Legal and Education Fund; Faculty Member for the George Washington University Legal Assistant Program; and volunteer attorney, NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund.
Ms. Newman was a member of the District of Columbia bar, and was admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia; the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; and the US Court of Claims.
She practiced before the Defense Office of Hearings and Appeals, the US Merit Systems Protection Board, and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, as well as in the Federal Courts.
- District of Columbia, 1973
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, 1977
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1983
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1992
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1974
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1977
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association Administrative Law, Division on National Security Interests, Vice Chair
- District of Columbia Bar, Member
- American Bar Association, Vice-Chair, Defense & National Security Committee
- American Bar Association, Law Office Management and Economics Section, Chair, 1985 – 1986
- Federally Employed Women Legal and Education Fund, Member, Executive Board, 1979 – 1982
- D.C. Bar Membership Benefits Committee, Member, 1984 – 1986
- American Bar Association, Section of Public Contract Law, Member, Contracting with National Security Requirements Committee, 1990
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Member
- Women’s Bar Association, Member
- George Washington University Legal Assistant Program, Faculty Member, 1984 – Present