June D.W. Kalijarvi
(1941 – 2018)
June Kalijarvi was granted Martindale Hubbell’s coveted “AV” rating, its highest rating, for the past 20 years. June founded the firm more than 30 years ago, and served as its managing partner, concentrating her practice exclusively in the area of employment law.
She earned a nationwide reputation as an aggressive and fearless advocate. She was a graduate of Wellesley College (BA, 1963) and received her Juris Doctor and Master of Laws degrees from Georgetown University (JD, 1973, LLM 1975). 90% of Ms. Kalijarvi’s practice was devoted to litigation. Ms. Kalijarvi was designated as an AV lawyer by the American Bar Association, the highest rating given.
Throughout her career, Ms. Kalijarvi was frequently asked to conduct classes, lectures and seminars on employment law topics. She provided training to other attorneys at such forums as the DC Bar Continuing Legal Education Program, and the EEOC’s annual EXCEL training course.
Ms. Kalijarvi was admitted to practice in both the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Virginia. In addition she was admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. District Court, District of Columbia; U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia; U.S. Tax Court; U.S. Court of Federal Claims; U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Ms. Kalijarvi was also a member of numerous professional organizations such as: The District of Columbia Bar; The Bar Association of the District of Columbia; and the American Bar Association (Member, Sections on: Labor and Employment Law).
She practiced before the US Merit Systems Protection Board, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the State Department’s Foreign Service Grievance Board, as well as in the Federal Courts.
Bar and Court Admissions
- District of Columbia, 1973
- Virginia, 1982
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1974
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1977
- U.S. Tax Court
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Law Institute, 1977 – Present
- Georgetown University Legal Assistant Program, 1976 – 1980
- The District of Columbia Bar, Member
- The Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Member
- American Bar Association, Section on Labor Law, Member
- American Bar Association, Section on Employment Law, Member
- “Executive Authority to Impose Prior Restraint upon Publication of Information Concerning National Security Affairs: A Constitutional Power,” (Co-Author), 1973 Cal. W. L. Rev. 468, Spring, 1973