KCNF seeks to add an attorney with litigation experience and a demonstrated commitment to civil rights.
The practice group represents employees and unions in a wide range of labor and employment issues, with a focus on class, collective, and multi-plaintiff litigation. In particular, the group routinely handles matters involving wage theft; sexual harassment; discrimination and retaliation; employee discipline; whistleblower retaliation; and union-related contract violations. Notable cases include:
- Tarovisky et al. v. United States, a collective action on behalf of more than 41,000 federal employees challenging the government’s failure to pay employees during the 2018-2019 government shutdown, in violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Braswell et al. v. United States, a class action seeking hazard pay on behalf of federal employees who were exposed to the coronavirus while performing their official duties.
- White et al. v. Sessions, a class action on behalf of nearly 550 female employees of the Federal Bureau of Prisons in Coleman, Florida, alleging that the government failed to take steps to prevent inmates from egregiously sexually harassing them. The case settled for $20 million, and a long list of negotiated changes designed to eradicate the sexual harassment, which the judge described as “impressive by any standard.”
Responsibilities will include all aspects of litigation, including investigating claims; filing cases; discovery; mediation and/or settlement negotiations; arbitration, hearing, and/or trial; and appeals. The attorney will work directly with clients and other attorneys in the firm often in a team environment. The position involves travel.
Candidates must be motivated and possess the ability to work well on a team, but also be energetic self-starters with initiative. The position requires outstanding research and writing skills, the ability to communicate effectively, a creative approach to litigation, and a commitment to social justice. NO telephone calls, please.
All employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, unless there is a legally authorized exemption.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter, résumé, references, transcript, and independent writing sample to: email@example.com.
Kalijarvi, Chuzi, Newman & Fitch (KCNF) has an immediate need for a talented and experienced paralegal. KCNF is a woman owned law firm in DC that specializes in employment and labor law. This position would provide support to a diverse group of attorneys handling cases involving whistleblowers, security clearances, harassment, retaliation, wage & hour, discipline, FLSA, and reasonable accommodation.
- Assist attorneys in managing cases from inception through closure
- Acting as liaison among all parties including court or other neutrals for scheduling and sharing information
- Organizing and managing documents, including the creation of spreadsheets and retrieval systems
- Coordinating the collection, review and production of documents
- Assisting with arbitration/trial preparation including the assembly of exhibits, witness binders, and appearances for depositions and court fillings
- Summarize deposition and trial transcripts and exhibits
- Research case-related issues
- Work independently and collaboratively on multiple projects simultaneously
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or paralegal certificate
- Three or more years of directly related experience
- Experience drafting, cite-checking, and correcting legal briefs (trial and appellate)
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Must be familiar with using the Blue Book
- Excellent editing, writing, legal citation and research skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Must be able to effectively multi-task, manage time-sensitive documents and have exceptional organizational skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience preparing for arbitrations, hearings, depositions
- Document preparation to include but not limited to editing, reviewing, organizing, proofreading, and assembling documents
- Proficient with all aspects of discovery, drafting pleadings, e-filing with Courts and trial preparation
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Proficient at working in a Microsoft Windows environment (Windows 10 or higher),using Office (version 2010 or higher); ability to master automated systems for record keeping, and confidently learn new technology
- Ability to work collaboratively in team situations
- Ability to work and communicate well with clients, attorneys, judged, and other specialists within the community
- Excellent people skills with a positive, professional demeanor and a strong client service focus
KCNF offers excellent compensation, a comprehensive benefits package and a generous paid time off program. All employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, unless there is a legally authorized exemption.
If you are interested in joining a collegial team of professionals, please send a cover letter and your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
For more information about the firm, visit www.kcnfdc.com.