Yesterday, the Department of Defense confirmed that the recent Supreme Court decision in Dobbs will not interrupt abortion care for Service members, dependents, other beneficiaries of DoD health care services, and civilian employees:
- DoD will continue to provide for “covered abortions” (those performed where the mother’s life is in danger and in cases of rape or incest).
- Military medical treatment facilities will “implement measures to ensure continued access to care.”
- DoD health care providers will follow existing policy.
- DoD reaffirms its position that “States generally may not impose criminal or civil liability on federal employees who perform their duties in a manner authorized by federal law” and commits to working with DOJ to provide access to counsel to those federal employees “as needed and appropriate.”
- DoD existing leave policy for Service members authorizes travel as necessary to receive abortion care.
- DoD general leave policies remain unchanged.
- Additional guidance may be forthcoming.
Read more here.